World Atlas of Coral Reefs

Roberto Pardo robepardoa at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 17:35:39 EDT 2001

Dear Dr. Spalding. Our organization working on
establish protected areas and marine conservation
projects. As a matter of fact we have a project to
establish a Marine Protected Area in Malaga bay
(Colombian Pacific coast) to protect an important
ecosystems and species like mangroves and humpback
whales and coral reefs in the Gorgona National Park.
Our work also is with the communities and schools of
the area to improve the conservation of this
environments through the environmental education
programs. For this reason we are interested obtain the
the World Atlas of Coral Reefs. We are sure that this
help us in our projects. Unfortunately due our
finnacial crisis its imposible to buy it. All the
money here is to our internal war not for the
environment so we ask your support. Thanks  again and
Best regards, Roberto

Roberto Pardo Angel
Marine Biologist and Environmental Educator
Gorgona National Park
Carrera 47 No. 3A - 31 Barrio El Lido
P.O. Box 26513
Cali, Colombia, South America
E-mail: robepardoa at yahoo.com

--- Mark Spalding <Mark.Spalding at unep-wcmc.org> wrote:
> The UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre has
> just completed the first ever "World Atlas of Coral
> Reefs". Details about the book can be found on our
> web-site on www.unep-wcmc.org/marine/coralatlas/
>
> Official launch on 11 Sept, but you can already
> order the book from the University of California
> Press (and Amazon etc).
>
> There will not be a full electronic version of the
> Atlas, however we are hopeful that much of the
> underlying map and statistical data from the Atlas
> will be available on the ReefBase web-site by the
> end of the year.
>
> We still have a small number of copies which are
> being sent, free-of-charge, to active conservation
> programmes and libraries in developing countries.
> Send a short description describing the work of the
> organisation, its need for the book, and financial
> constraints.
>
> Mark Spalding, PhD
> Senior Marine Ecologist
> UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre
> www.unep-wcmc.org
> 219 Huntingdon Road
> Tel: +44 (0)1223 277314
> Cambridge, CB3 0DL
> Fax: +44 (0)1223 277136
> UK
> e-mail:mark.spalding at unep-wcmc.org

> This E-mail and any attachments are private,
> intended solely for
> the use of the addressee. If you are not the
> intended recipient,
> they have been sent to you in error: any use of
> information in
> them is strictly prohibited.
>
> The employer reserves the right to monitor the
> content of
> the message and any reply received.
>
> ~~~~~~~
> For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to
> coral-list or the
> digests, please visit www.coral.noaa.gov, click on
> Popular on the
> menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

=====