info request/Marine science degrees for foreign students

Teresa Turner tturner at uvi.edu
Mon Dec 10 08:40:41 EST 2001

At the University of the Virgin Islands there is a small
undergraduate degree program in marine biology. Students may earn
a BA degree or a BS degree. There is funding to support strong
minority students through the NSF-HBCU-UP program and the NIH
MARC and RISE programs.

Students take field oriented classes such as invertebrate
zoology, aquatic botany, ichthyology, oceanography, marine
ecology, coral reef biology and physics, chemistry, calculus,
statistics, research diving, and computer science. Classes are
under 20 in size and emphasis is placed on critical thinking.
Students take an oral exam in the senior year and present two 50
minute seminars in the senior year.

Our graduates have been very successful and have gone on to
graduate programs at Yale, University of Georgia (Chris Jeffrey),
University of Rhode Island, University of Puerto Rico, University
of South Florida, University of Otago in New Zealand (Franz
Smith), and others.

Our faculty membvers include Dr. Rick Nemeth (coral reef fish),
Dr. Sandra Romano (coral evolution), Dr. Jim Battey (coral
symbiosis), Dr. Steve Ratchford (animal behavior), Dr. Lori
Buckley (ichthyology), Professor Roy Watlington (physical
oceanography), and Dr. Teresa Turner (marine ecology, algae and
sea grasses).

--
| Dr. Teresa Turner	tturner at uvi.edu |
| Science and Math                      |