No subject

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 7 06:55:16 EST 2001

From
         <owner-coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:34:19 -0300
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
From: Bernard THOMASSIN <Bernard.Thomassin at com.univ-mrs.fr>
Subject: Impact of catching of fish postlarvae in reefs and lagoons

 Dear Alls,

 In the Mayotte island (north Mozambique Channel, Comoro Archip.), a
 new company is planning to catch coral reefal and lagoonal fish
 postlarvae to grow them for the fish trade of european aquariologists.
 To do that due to the high tidal range there (up to 4 meters during
 spring tides) they exclude the using of "crest nets" moored upon the
 barrier reef fronts as used in lower tidal range environments (for
 example, Moorea Is. in French Polynesia).
 Consequently they plan to used ligh traps in subsurface of the
 lagoonal waters, or in passages, or yet upon barrier reefs (light
 traps are known to select the catches to Apogonids and Pomacentrids
 postlarvae mainly).

 As I am not familiar with coral and lagoonal fish postlarvae
 behaviour, could you help me in advisoring give me our opinions (or
 your experiments) about the possible impacts of to the natural fish
 populations (species selection, biomass impact, etc...).
 Mayotte is a quite large lagoon (near 1,500 square kilometers, ribbon
 barrier reefs are near 167 km long with deep passages - 30 up to 70 m
 depths). The corals from the barrier reefs died at 90 percent
 following the 1998 ENSO event and today they recover slowly...
 Fringing reefs have just the reef fronts living.

 Thanks for your comments.
 Cheers.

 Bernard

 Bernard A. THOMASSIN (Dr. ès-Sci.)
 Directeur de recherches CNRS
 Centre d'Océanologie de Marseille (C.O.M.), Station marine d'Endoume,
 Chemin de la batterie des Lions,
 13007 Marseille, France
 &
 G.I.S. "LAG-MAY"
 "Environnement marin & littoral de l'île de Mayotte"
 tél. (33) 04 91 04 16 17 (ligne directe)
      (33) 04 91 04 16 00 (standart)
 mobile (33) 06 63 14 91 78
 fax (33) 04 91 04 16 35 (à l'attention de....)

 Proverbe mahorais : "Pwedza arongoa tsiamini paka nitsoana"
 traduction : "Le poulpe a dit : je ne crois que si je vois"