Population dependent on reefs

bmtrust at sunbeach.net bmtrust at sunbeach.net
Mon Dec 17 17:40:17 EST 2001

I agree with you Phil - we do not give the reefs the
credit they deserve. Mark Spalding makes the point
the dependence is relative. To some of us in the
islands they are the b-all and end-all of
everything!! Our dependence is greater than the fish
we eat and the divers we attract- the quality of our
beaches alone-(without which we are really doomed)
is reef dependant.
Everyone in the world may not be dependant on the
reefs now but certainly future generations may
become a lot more dependant once the true medicinal
value of the reefs is realised.

Loreto Duffy-Mayers
Executive Director
Barbados Marine Trust