Update: Dredging of Coral Reef for Coast Guard base in St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Bruce at Island Resources bpotter at irf.org
Tue Feb 20 09:08:25 EST 2001

Michael and friends ---

Just as a guess, the task of "fully documenting the baseline
condition of the reef system" and the allied seagrass beds and
mangroves is a major enterprise in a VERY EXPENSIVE part of the
world. Start to finish, with proper archiving of the results in
multiple sites where it would be accessible to future investigators,
I'd guess something in excess of $50,000. (It's one of the things
Island Resources does, so that's not a WAG.)

Follow-up surveys to report impacts and recovery courses would be a
minimum of $30,000, each---you'd probably want three over five- to
seven-years.

Especially in light of the indifference or active opposition of the
Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines (In our experience, the
most frequent sources of such funds are local government, bi-lateral
and mulilateral governmental organizations---ever try to get funds
when the host government opposes you?), I doubt there are numerous
sources of funds for such a "complete documentation." For example,
you should have seen the swarms of help provided to counter the silly
proposal to convert Sombrero Island to a rocket launch pad. (THAT
included a "full documentation" of a tiny terrestrial system, the
bulk of which costs were borne by the Royal Society of the Protection
of Birds and the various individual investigators who worked on the
project---and boy did THEY ever get a big vote of thanks from the
Government of Anguilla?)

Given the circumstances, do you suppose the Secretary of the [US]
Navy would be happy to fund a good, objective, third-party impacts of
their project?

best wishes in a dispeptic sort of way

bruce potter

PS.   Here's a repeat of the announcement of the URL for the US
National Park Service Coral Reef Monitoring Manual:

======================
=====================
At 9:37 AM +0900 2/20/01, Noah, Michael D POJ wrote:
>On a similar note, has there been any attempt to fully document the
>baseline condition of the reef system prior to impact (including
>photos), and then a plan developed to follow up with other
>assessments during and after the project has commenced in order to
>fully document the impacts?  Facts often speak louder than
>perception.  It may mean the loss of this particular reef system,
>but it'll be another round or two of ammunition to help protect the
>next one.
>
>Michael

29 Years of Environmental Planning for Development

><+><Web Site><+><+><http://www.irf.org/><+><+>< Web Site><+><
-- -- -- -- -- -- Island Resources Foundation -- -- -- -- --
123 Main Street, PO Box 3097
Road Town, Tortola
BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS
Phone: 284/494-2723; E-mail: <irf at irf.org>