Coral disease - Mauritius

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 23 13:04:21 EST 2001

Kamla et al.,

I have noticed from our satellite information that high SSTs appeared in
the vicinity of Mauritius early in February 2001:
    http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html
or as an animation:
    http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad/sub/sst_hle_2m.html

...however no HotSpots have yet been revealed.

We informed coral-list readers back in October 2000 (17th):

http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotals_comments.10.17.2000

that our NOAA satellite SSTs had begun to provide "observations" that
went into our products/charts that are -0.5 to -1 deg C too LOW.  This
was due to an old satellite and some instrumentation difficulties.  Our
new satellite (NOAA-16) has just recently come on line and has been
approved for use with these products.  With these new, and corrected,
SSTs our charts should soon adapt to showing HotSpots, etc. correctly as
well.

The bottom line here is that SSTs and Bleaching HotSpot Anomalies shown
have not always been capturing/highlighting completely regions of
believed coral reef bleaching over the past 6-7 months.  The fact that
this region in the Indian Ocean showed evidence of SSTs close [pink =
within 0.5 deg C] to what is beleived necessary for a potential
bleaching event in February means SSTs were probably, in fact, high
enough for inducing some bleaching.  Level for bleaching at Mauritius is
approximately 28C.

...does anyone have an observed SST for Mauritius in February?

Thanks,
Al

--
Alan E. Strong