Coastal Development

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Fri Feb 23 14:37:24 EST 2001

Coral List;

Developments such as the one brought to our attention by Mr. Jaufeerally in
Mauritus, Indian Ocean, or the one in St. Vincints Island are going to
happen.  While this may be seen as deplorable to those of us interested in
protecting coral reefs, the fact remains that economic and social pressures
will continue to foster this type of development.  The truly sad part about
these stories is that the application of modern coastal engineering design
and construction techniques could largely avoid the majority of adverse
impacts to the reef ecosystem.  As a biologist working for such a coastal
engineering company it is very frustrating to know that such damage to the
environment can be avoided, only to be underbid on a project by other
engineering companies who do not take environmental issues into
consideration.  For those of you on the Coral List with concerns about
coastal development issues in your own vicinity, I strongly suggest that you
focus your efforts on the permitting of such developments at the earliest
possible stage.  When a developer is trying to obtain permits, they will
promise almost anything.  The trick is to get it in writing as a condition
of the permit.  Once the permit is issued and the cranes and barges on
en-route it is almost impossible to make positive changes in design or
construction methods.

Good Luck

Bob Bourke
Oceanit