Coral disease

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Sat Feb 24 11:54:38 EST 2001

Kamla et al.,
Your temperatures (30 deg C) appear to be telling as they appear high
enough to indicate bleaching may be starting at Mauritius.  I have just
looked at our "revised" HotSpot charts that are in the process of
updating as our new satellite SST data are finally coming on-line.
HotSpots are showing much more activity in your immediate area, as I had
feared might be the case...see note from 2/23 to "coral-list."  Other
areas where HotSpots have "expanded" are:

Fiji [and off to the SE and West]
S. Brazil coast
S. Madagascar and off the N & NE tip

or see Indices Page (we need to revise this to include a site in your
area):
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/dhw_news.html

Compare 2/24 with 2/17:
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html

Also see the NOAA SST Anomaly Chart, as this chart is in the process of
updating as rapidly as cloud-free SSTs can be determined to fill in the
new SST field (2/23/01 chart has many cooler streaks in it - showing
where older SST values still have not yet been replaced with more
correct data from our new NOAA-16 satellite):

http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html

Cheers,
Al

--