New Monuments

Alina M. Szmant szmanta at uncwil.edu
Thu Jan 18 17:57:20 EST 2001

I think Carl  Lind is way off mark in his negative comments about President=
 Clinton's action to create new National Monuments.  Presidents don't just=
 come up with these ideas over night.  They are the result of much effort on=
 the part of conservation and citizens organizations to bring to the=
 recognition of powers to be that site x, y or z needs  protection from=
 human encroachment.   And our laws grants authority to our president to=
 take action for this purpose.  Just because we have a congress does not=
 mean it has to be involved in every governmental action.   The Congress is=
 heavily influenced by pro-development PACs and it takes too long to get=
 anything positive done through them.  The Wall Street Journal is the last=
 organization I would expect to understand conservation acts because it=
 represents the (small) fraction of our population making lots of money off=
 the rest of the people's resources by forging ahead to make our country one=
 big parking lot or tract housing project or industrial development.   If we=
 took all the national lands and divided them into 281 million pieces, I=
 think a majority of the American public would vote to have their little=
 piece protected for posterity.  Since we can't actually do that, we have=
 knowledgable and pro-active Presidents and Secretaries of the Interior=
 (such as Secretary Babbit) who have moved forward to do for us what we want=
 and need so desperately.  There's no way to get a virgin forest back once=
 it's been logged or been infiltrated by roads.  And as the old saying goes:=
  "Extinction is forever".  I am so very pleased by Clinton's conservation=
 actions and only sorry he didn't do them sooner.  I am fearful of what lies=
 ahead under the pro-development, anti-conservation Bush government as=
 represented by his choice for Secretary of the Interior. =20

Alina Szmant

 <<cmpan at ucdavis.edu>,

 IN%"Jim.Mccallum at noaa.gov",

> IN%"Roger.B.Griffis at hdq.noaa.gov"  "Roger B Griffis",

> IN%"cmpan at ucdavis.edu"  "CMPAN",

> IN%"coralreefs at egroups.com"  "Coral Reefs Egroup",

> IN%"noaa.mpa.all at hermes.nos.noaa.gov"  "noaampa

>I do know that with the Virgin Islands National Park there were two years

>of work and public consultations before decisions were made.  The actual

>boundaries appear to me to reflect changes based on public comments.

>Ann Notthoff wrote:

>> The Antiquities Act, which is the federal law that empowers the President=

>> establish National Monuments, has been used by every president since=
 Teddy

>> Roosevelt, except Bush and Reagan, I believe.  It is an important=
 conservation

>> tool that has led to heightened land and water protection around the=
 country.

 Clinton

>> created seven new national monuments Wednesday..."

>> ------------------------------

>> Well, this may be well and good, but it appears a bit dictatorial. =
 Whatever

>> happened to public input and congressional debate?

>> Today's Wall Street Journal has it about right:  "Under the separation of

>> powers, Congress is the law-making branch.  Yet that has not stopped Mr.=
 Clinton

>> from 'enacting' everything from his 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy for=
 the

>> military to his American heritage rivers initiative.  Indeed, he has the

>> distinction of being the only peacetime president to have had an=
 executive order

>> voided by a court -- his striker replacement gambit.  Clinton aide Paul=
 Begala

>> captured the President's attitude perfectly:  'Stroke of the pen.  Law of=
 the

>> land.  Kind of cool'."

>> The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

>> CL

>> <<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

>> <<HTML><<HEAD>

>> <<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;=
 charset=3Diso-8859-1">

>> <<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>

>> <<STYLE><</STYLE>

>> <</HEAD>

>> <<BODY bgColor=3D#f0e8d8>

>> <<DIV>"...Seeking to leave his mark on environmental protection,=
 President

>> Clinton created seven new national monuments Wednesday..."<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>------------------------------<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>&nbsp;<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>Well, this&nbsp;may be well and good, but it appears a bit

>> dictatorial.&nbsp; Whatever happened to public input and congressional

>> debate?&nbsp; <</DIV>

>> <<DIV>&nbsp;<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>Today's Wall Street Journal has it about right:&nbsp; "Under the=
 separation

>> of powers, Congress is the law-making branch.&nbsp; Yet that has not=
 stopped Mr.

>> Clinton from 'enacting' everything from his 'Don't ask, don't tell'=
 policy for

>> the military to his American heritage rivers initiative.&nbsp; Indeed, he=
 has

>> the distinction of being the only peacetime president to have had an=
 executive

>> order voided by a court -- his striker replacement gambit.&nbsp; Clinton=
 aide

>> Paul Begala captured the President's attitude perfectly:&nbsp; 'Stroke of=
 the

>> pen.&nbsp; Law of the land.&nbsp; Kind of cool'."<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>&nbsp;<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>&nbsp;<</DIV>

>> <<DIV>CL<</DIV><</BODY><</HTML>

 SMTP

>>   (IMA Internet Exchange 3.14) id 000C4457; Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:48:17=
 -0500

>>     by nixon.ucdavis.edu (8.11.1/8.11.0/IT4.4.8) with SMTP id=
 f0HIdrJ09417;

>>     Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:39:53 -0800 (PST)

>>     by nixon.ucdavis.edu (8.11.1/8.11.0/IT4.4.8) with ESMTP id=
 f0HId8J09281

>>     for <<cmpan-rl at nixon.ucdavis.edu>; Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:39:08 -0800=
 (PST)

>>     by franc.ucdavis.edu (8.11.1/8.11.0/IT4.4.8) with ESMTP id=
 f0HId8H10089

 <<3A65CE8D.83DE64E4 at noaa.gov>

>> Subject: Re: New Monuments

>> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:40:49 -0800

>> Sender: owner-cmpan at ucdavis.edu

>~~~~~~~

>For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the

>digests, please visit www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the

>menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant

Coral Reef Research Group

Professor of Biology=20

Center for Marine Science

University of North Carolina at Wilmington

1 Marvin K. Moss Lane

Wilmington  NC  28409

tel:  (910)962-2362  fax:  (910)962-2410

email:  szmanta at uncwil.edu