[Fwd: COMMENTS NEEDED TO PROTECT PACIFIC LEATHERBACKS BY 1/29/01]

Charles Wahle Charles.Wahle at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 22 13:06:13 EST 2001

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: COMMENTS NEEDED TO PROTECT PACIFIC LEATHERBACKS BY 1/29/01
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:35:09 -0800
From: Todd Steiner <tsteiner at igc.org>
To: cmpan at ucdavis.edu

We would appreciate it if you would post this Action Alert.

Thank you
---------------

ACTION ALERT

Comments Needed Before January 29, 2001 to Protect
Critically Endangered Pacific Leatherback and Loggerhead Sea Turtles!

The draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Pelagic
Fisheries
of the Western region is now accepting comments regarding the Hawaii
longline fishery up until January 29, 2001.  The complete document (500+
pages) can be found online at http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/piao/deisdocs.htm
or
can be requested by phone (808 973 2937).

The public hearings are all occurring in Hawaii and the fishing industry
has made a concerted effort to have their economic concerns heard.  The
sea
turtles need an equal voice and we are asking you to take this
opportunity
to comment on behalf of these endangered species.  (If you can, re-post
on
other lists and send to friends and colleagues too).

This new EIS was precipitated by a lawsuit filed by Earthjustice Legal
Defense Fund on behalf of Turtle Island Restoration Network and the
Center
for Marine Conservation over the excessive take of sea turtles by the
Hawaii longline fleet.

Nine alternatives fishery management actions are presented in the DEIS.
We
are in agreement with National Marine Fisheries Service and are
supporting
the objectives they have presented as their  "Preferred  Alternative 7."

Specifically this alternative is designed to reduce take of leatherbacks
by
76%, loggerhead takes by 100%, green turtle takes by 85% and olive
ridley
takes by 42%.  This is accomplished by eliminating deep set fishing
(which
targets swordfish), and by a two-month seasonal closure. The swordfish
fishery captures leatherbacks at a rate 10 times higher than the tuna
fishery.

NMFS has also left the door open for an "experimental fishery" for
swordfish (called Option A).  This so-called "experiment" can
significantly
INCREASE takes of sea turtles, according to the DEIS.  We are opposed to
an
"experimental fishery" in Hawaii, and believe there are a number of
other
fisheries where similar experiments could be conducted without opening a
new loophole that could increase turtle takes in the Hawaii fishery.
Examples of other fisheries where such experiments could be conducted
include Mexico and several in Central America.

Please send the following  comments (or write your own) to: Dr. Charles
Karnella, Administrator, Pacific Islands Area Office, SW Region, 1601
Kapiolani Blvd., Rm. 1110, Honolulu, HI  96814.  They can be faxed to
him
at (808) 973-2941.

Or of you prefer, you can email them to seaturtles at igc.org and we will
print them out and fax them for you (saving you the cost of the long
distance fax call).

Thank you!

-----sample
letter------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Charles Karnella
Administrator, Pacific Islands Area Office, SW Region
1601 Kapiolani Blvd., Rm. 1110
Honolulu, HI  96814

RE: Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Pelagic Fisheries
of
the Western region regarding the Hawaii longline fishery.

Dear Dr. Karnella:

As I believe you are aware, Pacific leatherbacks are critically
endangered,
and without significant measures to reduce their take in commercial
fisheries, they may go extinct in 5-10 years (Spotila, et. al. 2000.
Nature 405:529-530).

I am writing to express my support for the objectives listed for
"Preferred
Alternative 7."    Specifically I support efforts that reduce take of
leatherbacks by at least  76%, loggerhead takes by 100%, green turtle
takes
by 85% and olive ridley takes by 42%.

I am opposed to any "experimental fishery" that could increase
incidental
take of sea turtles above the proposed take levels rates described in
Preferred Alternative 7.   The desire for progress in developing
mitigation
measures through an experimental fishery can not be justified in the
Hawaiian fishery.  The rate of turtle capture necessary to obtain
statistically significant results would be unacceptably high considering
the critically endangered status of these turtles.

Sincerely yours,

[Your name]
[Your title, address]

Todd Steiner