Western Pacific Bleaching?

Rob van Woesik b984138 at sci.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
Mon Jul 2 19:57:37 EDT 2001

Hi Al,

its getting warm over here but we are only seeing patchy and very localized
paling of shallow Goniastrea spp. and some Acropora digitifera  - which is an
annual event at this time of the year. Most of my grad students are out in the
field on a daily basis (and I get out at least once a week at this time of the
year). I'll let you know as soon as we see bleaching in and around Okinawa.
However, the rapidly approaching Typhoon 4 may cool the waters and prevent
widespread coral bleaching around Okinawa (this time), see
http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/SE/00Latest.jpg.

Best Regards
Rob van Woesik

Dr. Robert van Woesik