sharphone puffer lesions

Bert and Lucy Williams bertlucy at coqui.net
Sat Jul 14 08:25:11 EDT 2001

Maureen,

    As I wrote to Julie [on a separate system, so I cannot send a copy], =
sharpnose puffers carry marine ich [Cryptocaryon irritans]; however, =
this usually does not express in the wild [our 1994 paper in J. Aquat. =
Animal Helth].  It could cause lesions similar to what has been =
described.  This condition could also represent lymphocystis disease =
[giant wart-like lesions] [see our 1984 paper on lymphocystis in =
Caribbean marine fishes in J. Wildl. Dis.].  However, we have never seen =
this in the sharpnose puffer, and it should not occur in such a =
prevalence.  We can send you copies of the above-mentioned papers, if =
this would be of interest.

    If you can preserve some of these infected puffers in 10% formalin =
and send them to us [Dr. E. H. Williams, Dept. Marine Science, Univ. =
Puerto Rico, P.O. Box 908, Lajas, PR 00667-0908], then we can tell you =
what is causing the lesions.

    The outbreak described by Julie is unusual, and should be documented =
and reported.

Bert [see address above]
  ----- Original Message -----=20