Free books to developing countries

Mark Spalding Mark.Spalding at unep-wcmc.org
Mon Jul 23 12:14:42 EDT 2001

THIS IS A FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE FORTHCOMING WORLD ATLAS OF CORAL REEFS

This new work from the UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre will be launched in about a month. It is a map-based review of the distribution and status of reefs world-wide, and is a comprehensive study, over 400 pages in length. I will send a general e-mail describing the book (including order details) in the next few days, but meanwhile, a call for help.

We have been given a grant from Project Aware to provide a free copy of the Atlas to "ground-based conservation initiatives relating to coral reefs in developing countries". The aim is to enable small NGO or community based initiatives to obtain this valuable reference work without eating in to limited funds. We can only supply 150 copies of the book, and so will have to be quite strict in our assessment.

Can you give us details of any such projects or names of individuals? Please send contact details, and a postal addess if you have it. In order to assess priorities we would ideally like to know a little more about the work, and its funding. In general we will favour individuals and local NGOs over the better funded international NGOs and university departments, but we will be flexible. I am aware that quite a few of the individuals and organisations we would like to find may not have internet access, or access to coral-list, so if you know of these please spare them a thought and give us their details too.

Please respond directly to Sarah Carpenter at sarah.carpenter at unep-wcmc.org
It would be great if we could get your ideas over the next couple of weeks

Thanks in advance for your help

Mark

Mark Spalding, PhD
Senior Marine Ecologist
UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre   www.unep-wcmc.org
219 Huntingdon Road                                 Tel: +44 (0)1223 277314
Cambridge, CB3 0DL                                  Fax: +44 (0)1223 277136
UK                                    e-mail:mark.spalding at unep-wcmc.org
or
Research Associate
Cambridge Coastal Research Unit
Department of Geography
Downing St
Cambridge
UK

This E-mail and any attachments are private, intended solely for
the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient,
they have been sent to you in error: any use of information in
them is strictly prohibited.

The employer reserves the right to monitor the content of
the message and any reply received.