Potential Bleaching expands

DAVID_A_GULKO at exec.state.hi.us DAVID_A_GULKO at exec.state.hi.us
Tue Jul 24 22:03:06 EDT 2001

Alan,
situation in the north central Pacific, specifically your suggestion that
warm water may be showing signs of development west of Midway, the Hawaii
Department of Land & Natural Resources will be mounting a coral
reef-focused expedition to Kure Atoll (slightly west of Midway) next month.
We'll specifically look for any evidence of bleaching while we're there; we
currently plan to place long-term temperature recorders adjacent to living
reef structures both within the lagoon and on the outside slope of the
atoll.  The NMFS and NOS will also have a number of vessels operating
throughout the NWHI at this same time making observations regarding the
status of reef resources; hopefully between all our efforts we can gain a
clearer picture if any actual events are occurring up there.

    - Dave Gulko

Dave Gulko
Division of Aquatic Resources
Hawaii Department of Land & Natural Resources
1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 330
Honolulu, HI  96813

(808) 587-0318 (o),  (808) 587-0115 (fx)
david_a_gulko at exec.state.hi.us