Coral removal and replacement during construction

John naughton john.naughton at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 26 14:13:03 EDT 2001

Aloha Garry:

I'm with the National Marine Fisheries Service in Honolulu, and manage
our Pacific Islands Habitat Program for NMFS.  I represent NMFS/NOAA on
the Cooperating Agency Team for a huge road project in Palau, being
constructed by the US under treaty with the Republic of Palau.
The Team conducts trips (two/year) to Palau as oversite to insure the
enviro measures we specified in the EIS are adhered to.  Our next survey
trip is Aug 6-14.

I've also had much experience with u/w pipeline installation, coral
transplanting and other mitigation techniques.
Please send me some specifics of your project; i.e. where exactly in
Palau, approx live-coral coverage along pipeline alignment, project
applicant, etc.  Also, is there any chance that you will be in Palau
next month?

Look forward to hearing from you.                John

John Naughton
Pacific Islands Area Office
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone:  808/973-2935x211