Bleaching N Mariana Is. (Fwd. from G. Bustamante)

Hernandez Edwin coral_giac at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 17:39:58 EDT 2001

Dear coral-listers.

The forwarded message attached below was sent to me by
Dr. Georgina Bustamante, who requested me to post this
on the coral-list.  Send any response directly to her
to the address at the end of the message.

Regards,

Edwin

________________________

Edwin, no estoy suscrita en la red,  por favor pasa
este mensaje a mi
nombre:

It seems that this year will be another bad one for
coral reefs.
I stayed all the month of July in Rota, Northern
Mariana Is. (Pacific)
and have noticed alot of bleaching, mostly  in
lagoonal reefs, and
particularly on Acropora, and also more dead corals
and algae
overgrown,
in comparison with last year.

1998 bleaching event did not affect these islands as
it did with the
South Pacific Islands, but it seems to be happening
now in  the whole
archipelago.
The government of the Commonwealth of the Northern
Mariana Is. (CNMI)
has warned the population with a note in the main
newspaper.

Water temperature is getting very high, particularly
in shallow-water
areas (reef lagoons, tide pools) where corals usually
settle and grow.
Low tides are also very low this month and shallow
reefs are getting
exposed and overheated for several hours each day. Hot
water flows out
through the fringing barrier reef, which is very close
to the shore in
these islands.

For more information, please contact John Starmer,
coral reef
monitoring
biologist at Coastal Resources Management, CNMI at
crm.biology at saipan.com <mailto:crm.biology at saipan.com>

Georgina Bustamante, Ph.D
Caribbean Marine Conservation Coordinator
The Nature Conservancy
4245 N Fairfaz dr. s. 100
Arlington, Va 22203
tel. 703-8415682