sediment on branching corals

Bob Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ukans.edu
Tue Jul 31 09:39:30 EDT 2001

Ika,

You should probably specify the scenario or time scale(s) of concern.  There
is a very big difference between acute but isolated sediment deposition (a
rare storm event) and long-term sustained or chronic sedimentation, and of
course the two interact -- the greater the chronic stress the less the
tolerance for acute events.

This needs to be reflected in the units (e.g., grams of mm of deposition per
unit area per unit time) -- sediment budgets are commonly expressed per
year, but that masks the impact of extreme short-term events.

Local water motion and other environmental factors including possibly
synergistic stresses will also condition the responses.

Bob Buddemeier

--
Dr. Robert W. Buddemeier
Kansas Geological Survey