Measuring growth of shape in stony corals

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Fri Jun 1 14:37:04 EDT 2001

Les;
	I don't know of anyone who has used this approach, but it would seem
that the application of fractal dimensional analyses would be quite
appropriate; looking at changes in absolute size and dimensional state as
the coral grows.  Rugosity has often been a measure of complexity on a reef,
but it is typically measured with 19th century technology - draping a chain
of known link size over the substrate & then taking the ratio of (straight
line distance between the ends of the chain : absolute length of chain).
I'm thinking that one could develop a laser scanner that could make this
measurement in-situ with much greater accuracy over a range of scales.  I've
got a preliminary design of such a device but haven't been able to obtain
funding (or time) to actually develop it.

Good luck!

Bob Bourke
Oceanit, Hawaii