bleach alert?

Jim Hendee hendee at aoml.noaa.gov
Wed Jun 13 07:25:29 EDT 2001

Greetings,

  High sea temperatures together with abnormally high salinities may
result in a lower than usual threshold for coral bleaching at Sombrero Key
and elsewhere  in the Florida Keys.  Please see daily output of the
FIO/NOAA SEAKEYS Network at http://www.coral.noaa.gov/cman/cman_menu.html.

  The higher than normal salinities are a result of the extended drought
conditions we have had in South Florida over the last six months or so.
I would like to ask that researchers in the area keep your eyes open for
early signs of bleaching and let us know.

  Many thanks...

  Cheers,
  Jim