Message for ISRS Members

Terry Done tdone at aims.gov.au
Wed Jun 13 18:54:44 EDT 2001

Dear Fernando and Coral-Listers,

Fernando raises some good points about problems in scientific publishing in
general, and calls on the International Society for Reef Studies to set a
good example for other scientific societies.  This is certainly a
worthwhile issue for ISRS to debate among its members.

I believe ISRS already do set a good example in the way we operate in
relation to publishing.  It is quite true that many of those we would like
to have access to Coral Reefs are in third world countries (and,
incidentally, where the internet is not always available to all those whom
we would like to read Coral Reefs and Reef Encounter, our
newsletter).  Hence, the printed version is still essential for us to meet
our obligations to our members.

Members of ISRS receive the journal Coral Reefs (4 issues and ~400 pages
per year) plus the newsletter Reef Encounter (2 issues and ~ 80 pages per
year) for a subscription of US$80.  i.e. about 17c per page,
delivered.   Coral Reefs is inexpensive compared to many other journals,
and  in terms of quality and citations, it has rated well among scientific
journals in recent years.

Financial th internet access can access an electronic version of Coral
Reefs before the printed version is distributed. (See instructions on
inside cover of Coral Reefs. Members will be given more specific details
shortly).

Everyone is welcome to check the Contents of Coral Reefs and to read Reef
Encounter on the ISRS web-site at www.uncwil.edu/isrs.

Regards,

Terry Done
President