Another viewpoint on Exotic corals cultured in the Caribbean

Fabrice Poiraud-Lambert fpl at circop.com
Fri Jun 29 08:11:46 EDT 2001

Dear all,

Sorry for this question, but there is no hidden thinking behind as this is
not my area : what could be the bad effects of a foreign coral species
propagation in Caribbean (or somewhere else) ? Replacement/destruction of
the previous ones and loss of the associated animals (fish, shrimps, etc...)
? Diseases ?

Is there no positive aspect ? What if all coral species are gone/killed in a
specific area ? No hope ?

Chris said : "(...) given the slow-growing nature of coral (...) are corals
being taken from the wild for propagation or are they being cultured from
gametes in the lab? It would seem counter-productive to harvest coral to
propagate them for restoration"

=> As far as I know (at least based on my personnal reef tank production
where I need to harvest fragments very often), many coral species can grow
very fast in captive tanks (check this movie from a not too fast Acropora sp
: http://mars.reefkeeper.net/movie.html), and one fast growing mother colony
can give several hundreds of small colonies per year. Coral Farms in the
wild (in the Philippines for ex) shown that this fragments farming allows to
produce thousands of small colonies per months...and this is feasible with
fewer skills and equipment than with Gametes...no ? Is it that chocking ?

Best Regards
Fabrice