Bleaching

Phillip Dustan dustanp at cofc.edu
Mon Mar 5 08:55:05 EST 2001

Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear the news. However, please try to mark and observe individual=
 colonies.  Whatever happens, you will need the data on individual colony=
 mortality / recovery.  My experience in American Samoa suggested that there=
 was quite a bit of disease but it was not widespread. However, if the=
 corals are in a weakened state from bleaching, the diseases may begin to=
 increase. This has been teh case in Florida where black band disease and=
 white plague increased dramatically- but since we have not watched=
 individual colonies, we had no way of partitioning the mortality between=
 disease and bleaching. A simple wway to get lots of data is to shoot=
 repetetive underwater video transects looking down (plan view) between=
 known points of reference. If you do this carefully you will be able to=
 collect time series data on colonies "after the fact". But you must be=
 careful to video the same corals each time.  DIseases can kill corals in a=
 few days to weeks, death from bleaching can be faster, so you need to take=
 data at something like weekly intervals to resolve the differences. =
 Remember to shoot your video slowly and about 40 cm off the bottom for=
 optimal coverage vs spatial resolution

	Hope this helps, keep in touch.

				Phil

At 02:31 PM 3/2/01 -1100, Mary Power wrote:

>Talofa from Samoa

>In answer to your request we are now experiencing widespread bleaching here

>in Samoa - visual surveys of about 10 different sites show bleaching=
 ranging

>from 15% at  some to up to 90% at others. Acropora (formosa, hyacinthus

>mainly) Massive Porites and Millepora - depth range to about 10M. Started

>about end of January and ongoing - calm seas and clear skies for most of

>that time but now overcast and raining which may help. Difficult to assess

>level of mortality yet. Also signs of disease which precluded the signs of

>bleaching but that was only from one site. I will fill in reporting form on

>over the weekend with more details. Would like to hear whats happening

>elsewhere?

>Regards

>Mary

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW

Phillip Dustan <smaller>	 </smaller>		=09

Department of Biology	=20

College of Charleston		         =20

Charleston SC 29424	=09

dustanp at cofc.edu