Help! Estimates of CO2 uptake ...

Frank E. Muller-Karger carib at carbon.marine.usf.edu
Wed Mar 21 17:05:24 EST 2001

Viviane:
Check the following references also. NOte that there are many
very good satellite
images of the Amazon delta region and the coast to the north and south
collected in the early 1980's by the Coastal Zone Color Scanner, and more
recently by SeaWiFS. I
agree that the Amazon discharge never flows to the south of the mouth, as
far as I know. The currents are too strong, and the wind also
tends to push things toward the northwest.

See these references for general patterns:

Muller-Karger, F. E., P. L. Richardson, and D. McGillicuddy. 1995. On the
offshore dispersal of the Amazon's Plume in the North Atlantic. Deep-Sea
Research I, Vol. 42, No. 11/12, 2127-2137.

Muller-Karger, F. E., C. R. McClain, and P. L. Richardson. 1988. The
dispersal of the Amazon's water. Nature. 333. 56-59.

Regards,
Frank