shark finning

BobFenner at aol.com BobFenner at aol.com
Mon May 14 11:39:28 EDT 2001

In a message dated 5/13/01 4:32:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, silvinha at c4.com
writes:

> Only a couple of months ago we also received information
> regarding another agreement between the same agency and a
> private investor for live rock collection. Fortunately for
> side reasons, the collection of corals never started and
> the project aborted.

Live rock collection does not equate to collection of corals... the few
countries where this practice is licensed, particularly Fiji, utilize
otherwise wasted return air freight, local labor and enjoy considerable hard
currency income from this industry...       Further, the awareness that
captive husbandry of ornamental aquatics brings to the world is significant
"fuel to the fire" in awareness of environmental issues... Both promote the
"payment" for research and education.
Robert Fenner (who wishes Ed Lovell's work in Fiji  on "live rock" was in
print)