[Fwd: Nearshore vs. offshore bleaching]

Juan P. Carricart-Ganivet jpcarri at ecosur-qroo.mx
Fri May 18 10:22:46 EDT 2001

Dear all,

About inshore-offshore changes in density, calcification rate and extension rate
in Montastraea annularis skeletons we observed that, as corals experience a
harsher environment, they respond by extending their skeletons more using the
same or less calcium carbonate (lower calcification rate), with a concomitant
reduction on skeletal density (the same as Bernard for massive Porites). For
more information, you can see Carricart-Ganivet and Merino. 2001. Growth
continental influence in the southern Gulf of Mexico. Bull. Mar. Sci. 68(1):
145.

Please, if you reply this message, send me a copy <jpcarri at ecosur-qroo.mx>,
since I´m not in the list (my wife forwarded me the original message).

Best wishes,

Juan Pablo

> Subject: Re: Nearshore vs. offshore bleaching
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:42:01 -0300
> From: Bernard THOMASSIN <Bernard.Thomassin at com.univ-mrs.fr>
> To: debimack at auracom.com, coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
>
> >Debbie and all interested colleagues
>
> >Taking in account my remark :
> > >In fact coastal populations of corals (for the same species) are more
> >resistant to all the possible stresses that coral populations living in
> >more stable and constant seawater conditions.
> > >

> You say :
>
> >(The same is clearly true for our groundfish stocks, their resiliency to
> >various stressors, i.e. fishing pressure and climate change, is much higher
> >when they are located nearer to outflows of major rivers or mainland
> >shorelines. So is their growth rates, this is well documented...the
> >connection to enhanced feeding opportunities is rather hard to deny.)
> >

> >About growth rates from massive corals (Porites lutea, and P.
> >lobata) our idea is supported also by results about the coral
> >calcification from Mayotte I. and SW Madagascar area (Tulear), both
> >sites being in the Mozambique Channel but separated by about 10
> >latitudinal degrees (13° S for Mayotte, 23° S for Tulear region)
> >(results from Kathrin PRIESS thesis, see PRIESS et al., 1997 ;  from
> >TESTREEF Program with W.C. DULLO, L. MONTAGGIONI, T. EISENHAUER, G.
> >HEISS, etc..):
>
> massive Porites living:
> - in "oceanic" waters on outer barrier reef slopes, or near large
> passages, growth more quickly but with a less dense skeleton,
> - those living in coastal "neritic" waters grow more slowly but with
> a more dense skeleton than the first.
>
> Unfortunatly we have not yet results for the metabolism rates and
> feeding rates.
>
> Interesting debate you opened. this is Science.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernard
>
> Bernard A. THOMASSIN
> Dir. recherches CNRS
> Centre d'Océanologie de Marseille,
> Station marine d'Endoume,
> Chemin de la batterie des Lions,
> 13007 Marseille,
> France
> &
> G.I.S. "LAG-MAY"
> "Environnement marin & littoral de
> l'île de Mayotte"
> tél. (33) 04 91 04 16 17 (ligne directe)
>      (33) 04 91 04 16 00 (standart)
> mobile (33) 06 63 14 91 78
> fax  (33) 04 91 04 16 35 (à l'attention de....)
>
> ~~~~~~~
> For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the
> digests, please visit www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the
> menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

Dr. Juan P. Carricart-Ganivet
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur
Carretera Chetumal-Bacalar km 2, Zona Industrial No. 2
Apdo. Postal 424. Chetumal, Q. Roo. 77000.
MÉXICO

Tel: (9) 8321666 ext. 286
Fax: (9) 8320447 ext. 240
E-mail: jpcarri at ecosur-qroo.mx

--------------B3E18D0814A2AF276D310291

Dear all,
rate in <i>Montastraea annularis</i> skeletons we observed that, as corals
experience a harsher environment, they respond by extending their skeletons
more using the same or less calcium carbonate (lower calcification rate),
with a concomitant reduction on skeletal density (the same as Bernard for
massive <i>Porites</i>). For more information, you can see Carricart-Ganivet
and Merino. 2001. Growth responses of the reef-building coral <i>Montastraea
annularis</i> along a gradient of continental influence in the southern
Gulf of Mexico. Bull. Mar. Sci. 68(1): 145.
since I&acute;m not in the list (my wife forwarded me the original message).
more
in
higher
from