bleaching and erosion

Billy Causey Billy.Causey at noaa.gov
Fri May 18 19:16:24 EDT 2001

Dear Jacques,
Thank you for sharing these observations of coral bleaching.  For some time now
I have suspected and have been reporting at some meetings, that I have observed
a steady intensification of coral bleaching in the Florida Keys since 1980
(minor event) until the more recent 1997-98 back-to-back coral bleaching events
when our reefs remained in some degree of bleaching from July 1997 to the
winter of 1998.  While the bleaching was originally restricted to the outer
reefs (1983 and 1987).... coral bleaching began to occur in the shallow,
nearshore waters affecting the nearshore patch reefs and isolated coral
formations (1990, 1997, and 1998).  Soon, I hope we will have the water
temperature data compiled from 27 thermographs installed by Sanctuary
Biologists Harold Hudson and Bill Goodwin throughout the FKNMS that will show
the pattern.  However, at this time I suspect we have seen the inshore coral
that had historically acclimated to a broader range of physical parameters
(i.e. water temperature) now being pushed to the upper limit or threshold of
their tolerance to warm or hot water temperatures.

Whereas, during the earlier bleaching episodes (1980, 83, and 87) ... the outer
reefs, which had previously existed in a more narrower range of physical
conditions were first pushed to their upper threshold of tolerance.

But let me stress, I am by no means promoting temperature as the sole causative
factor of bleaching.
So .... I suggest you watch the corals in the lagoon and see if they bleach in
future episodes.

Cheers, Billy

--
Billy D. Causey, Superintendent