Butterflyfishes as Indicators of change

kochzius at uni-bremen.de kochzius at uni-bremen.de
Mon May 21 03:58:42 EDT 2001

Hi Victor!

The indicator hypothesis of Chaetodontidae to asses the "health" of a coral
reef is still under debate. There are many studies that faild to find a
relationship, whereas other found a strong one. From my experience in fish
community analysis on coral reefs and the literature of that field, I would
state that simply counting Chaetodontidae will not give an indication about
the reef "health". There are several points that should be considered:
1. What will be the definition of reef "health"?
2. There are several chaetodontid species that do not feed on corals at all
or feed on corals and other benthic invertebrates > as Anthony Mazeroll
already mentioned, you need to know about the diet of the species you
count. The focus should be on obligate corallivores.
3. It might be better to consider corallivorous fishes rather than
Chaetodontidae (there are several species of other families that feed on
corals)
4. In my data analysis I found a stronger correlation of corallivorous
fishes to live hard coral cover than of Chaetodontidae to live hard coral
cover.
5. Impact of fishing might be a problem as well. I heared from a colleague
that Chaetodontidae tend to enter bamboo traps that are used to catch
fusiliers (Caesionidae). However, as far as I know there is no publication
on this topic.

As other authors already mentioned, ther are to many uncertainties in the
use of butterflyfishes as indicators. The intention of indicator species is
to have a rapid method for the assesment of the environment of this
species. From my point of view a proper assesment of the abundance and
behaviour (you need to study this as well) of Chaetodontidae is as time
consuming as a detailed survey of the benthic habitat (corals).

Best fishes

Marc