Biomass depletion in the big picture

Bob Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ukans.edu
Mon May 28 23:06:45 EDT 2001

Debbie,

I will resume the discussion when you can come up with a testable hypothesis
that is based on:
1.  valid biogeochemical equations;
2.  valid mass-balance algebraic equations;
3.  supporting citations from the peer-reviewed scientific literature;
and/or
4.  data or well-formulated logical arguments refuting the published
findings you wish to ignore.

In the meantime, recommended reading:

Field, C.B., Behrenfeld, M.J., Randerson, J.T., and Falkowski, P., 1998,
Primary production of the biosphere: Integrating terrestrial and oceanic
components: Science, v. 281, p. 237-240.
--- Message -- Oceanic net primary production is approx 50  PgC/yr, (=5E16
g) phytoplankton turnover time is 2-6 days, so standing biomass averages
about 5E14gC.  Annual fisheries harvest is around 5E11 gC (as previously
discussed), or 0.1% of primary producer (not total) biomass.  Whether
expressed as C or N, this extraction is trivial compared to the overall
inventory, the measurement uncertainties, and both intra-annual and
interannual natural fluctuations.

Pahlow, M., and Riebesell, U., 2000, Temporal trends in deep ocean Redfield
ratios: Science, v. 287, p. 831-833.
--- Message -- Measurements of deepwater chemistry over time show a rising
N:P ratio in the N. Atlantic, and increased export production in the N.
Pacific (which incidentally, is identified as Fe- rather than N-limited).
Neither lends much support to the idea of productivity limitation by N
reduction.

Keeling, C.D., Whorf, T.P., Wahlen, M., and van der Plicht, J., 1995,
Interannual extremes in the rate of rise of atmospheric carbon dioxide:
Nature, v. 375, p. 666-670.
--- Message -- Compare curves of atmospheric CO2 and fossil fuel emissions
(over nearly half a century).   Not only is there a correspondence that
defies classification as coincidence, but the anomalies show that biotic
effects have also been quite consistent , and rather minor in variability
(certainly with no evidence for a systematically increasing offset as
fisheries harvest increased).

Kleypas, J.A., Buddemeier, R.W., Archer, D., Gattuso, J.-P., Langdon, C.,
and Opdyke, B.N., 1999, Geochemical consequences of increased atmospheric
carbon dioxide on coral reefs: Science, v. 284, p. 118-120.
And
Ware, J.R., Smith, S.V., and Reaka-Kudla, M.L., 1992, Coral reefs: sources
or sinks of atmospheric CO2?: Coral Reefs, v. 11, p. 127-130.
--- Message -- Calcium carbonate production is a sink for carbon (extracted
from the marine DIC reservoir) but a source of atmospheric CO2.  And, for
obligate shallow-water calcifiers, carbonate ion may be or soon become a
limiting nutrient.

Moffat, A.S., 1998, Global nitrogen overload problem grows critical:
Science, v. 279, p. 988-989.
--- Message -- (with references)  Mobilization of fixed N to the ocean has
dramatically increased, particularly in coastal regions (which supply most
of the world fisheries harvest).

Bob Buddemeier