creole wrasse, coral reef mass spawnings

Bruce Carlson carlson at waquarium.org
Thu May 31 19:19:48 EDT 2001

I haven't read any other replies to your query re: Creole wrasse
"schooling" at night so here are some observations:

I have also seen the "parading" behavior you mention at Bonaire.  It looks
to me very much like the parading behavior of yellow tangs here in Hawaii
(and other species in other locales).  These parades form in the late
afternoon through twilight as the fish (often hundreds or thousands) move
from daytime feeding areas to nighttime resting areas.  Spawning is usually
associated with these parades (at least it is with yellow tangs; I didn't
observe Creole wrasse spawning at Bonaire).  Dr. William J. Walsh in Hawaii
described this behavior for Hawaiian yellow tangs and I'm sure there are
other references for other species.

Aloha
Bruce Carlson
Waikiki Aquarium