divers and fish

Bill Crockett bill at reefs.org
Thu Nov 1 02:09:04 EST 2001

Prasanna,
    Seems like you are blaming the aquarist for the habits of the local
collectors and as far as I know there are very few people that collect
for their own tank.  In my experience in Fiji, the largest coral
exporter in the world I believe, most collection was done by local
Fijians.  They then transfer the livestock to the various companies
exporting it.   During my stay there I also became aware of the various
destructive habits of Fijians upon their own reefs.  I heard of local
Fijians eating sea turtles even though it was illegal since January, an
article was published in the Fiji Times about how two turtles from a
research station in Hawaii were caught and 1 was eaten.  I also
witnessed a sea turtle in a fish collection system in Suva.  I inquired
the manager on why it was there and she replied it would be returned to
the ocean soon.  I also witnessed various large breeding size fish
including specimens that would be considered exported by the aquarium
trade eaten for food.  Am I saying they cannot eat these fish? No, but
eating of breeding fish will and does have an impact on the overall fish
population and variety of the reef.

     While most reef keepers are not marine biologists by title many
have become lay marine biologist through the love of their hobby.  While
I might defend the hobby through words I would like you to take a look
at various sites that have been created because of the hobby.

Online magazine created for hobby:
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/archive/default.asp
1 of the captive breeders of tropical saltwater fish:
http://www.orafarm.com/
Largest hobbyist site on the Internet: http://www.reefs.org

While you state

"I don't think the reef keepers have a clue what is going on down here, or
care how much they are contributing to the destruction of the reefs to build
"pretty little artificial reefs' that they can keep at home."

I implore you inform yourself of the current situation of reef keeping in the United States. My apologies if I sound hard or defensive, but the aquarium industry is no longer a sink hole for fish and inverts, many of the animals that are now imported are now being captive grown and bred. I invite you to join the reef keeping community as an outside observer and if you still believe we don't have a clue after 6 months of active participation then so be it.
Bill Crockett
www.reefs.org