divers and fish

John Williams williams at convex.hhmi.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:18:30 EST 2001

While I havent been diving, I will take your point that it is likely that
the reef aquarium trade is making a significant impact on the reefs.
However, from the aquarist that I have met it is clear that they try their
very best to provide a high quality habitat for the fish.  Those who do
usually acquire 4 or 5 fish and keep them for many years.  On the other
hand, it is likely that many people get into the hobby and do not know
much about the requirements of keeping a fish.  They may go through a
large number of fish, probably view them as expendible like some feel
about goldfish.  Also, a number of pet stores seem to keep these fish
because they may feel like they need to cover all their bases.  I am sure
a good number of petstores (chain stores in particular) account for a
large percentage of the fish demise.

While aquaculturing efforts have been only successful for handful of fish,
these successful cases only came from careful efforts and alot of time. It
is probably possible now to stop collecting clown fish altogther.  It may
be worth noting that there is alot that has been and will be learnt from
these aquariums.  You may also be suprised by the education level of many
of those keeping reef aquariums. Finally, I would also point out that the
reef aquarist have had tremendous success at captively propogating a large
number of corals.  This success may be very important in the future.  One
case that comes to mind is how the california vineyards rescued the french
vineyard when their grapes came undersiege of a fungal blight.

Anyway, the upshot of all of this is a proposal seeking a comprise.
People who wish to maintain reef aqauriums need to pass a test
demonstrating some level of understanding before being allowed to keep
these fish.  Shops selling fish would have to pass the same test or
something more rigorous, should be periodically check to ensure high
quality water conditions/habitat in general, and would require anyone
wanting to purchase a fish to show some id.  The health department already
checks petstores anyway - outfitting them with a few test kits for
NH3/Ca/pH etc wouldnt be difficult.  As much as I hate to add any more
goverment, the proposal would make people aware of what they are getting
into, it would discourage chain stores for overstocking and creating
lethal habitats for these fish.  It would likely drive up the price of the
fish and therefore encourage more captive breeding efforts. In all, this
could reduce the collecting load on the reefs.

Now, I imagine that I would be electronically whipped which is one reason
I generally just listen.  Regardless, I hope this proposal is taken for
what its worth - just an idea to try to help both camps.

cheers, john