Guesstimate as to age of this coral?

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at turtles.org
Thu Nov 1 20:02:36 EST 2001

Hi CoralHedz!

I have three photos of the same coral head.  I really need a good estimate
as to the age of this particular Pocillopora eydouxi.

Details.  It grew in about 25 feet on the Hawaiian island of
Maui.  Temperature loggers show a temperature range of about 27 C in August
and about 24 during February through April for this area.

Here is a portion of the coral in 1988.

<http://www.turtles.org/i2401042.jpg>

In 1989

<http://www.turtles.org/head89.jpg>

and 1991.

<http://www.turtles.org/head91.jpg>

About how many years would this head have been growing to reach that size?

Many thanks,
Ursula
TURTLE TRAX
http://www.turtles.org