divers and fish

Bruce Carlson carlson at waquarium.org
Sat Nov 3 14:03:06 EST 2001

....And of course the hobbyist lobby groups and magazines mainly tout those
experts in the rarified air of the hobby as examples of what is.
Ursula,

Let me quote one coral biologist who is not a hobbyist (speaking about live
coral collection, not for the curio trade):

"Public aquaria and private hobbyists both serve the important purpose of
increasing interest, awareness and knowledge of coral reefs.  Sometimes
proponents of the reef aquarium trade are criticised by well meaning
members of conservation movements for creating the potential to harm wild
populations.  In some locations, where small reef areas occur in close
proximity to major centres of population, such criticisms are likely to be
well founded.  However, this is not so for major reef regions on the
Indo-Pacific where very large areas of reefs are owned by poor countries,
most of which participate in destructive fishing practices.  In these
countries, the well managed harvesting of corals for aquaria should give
monetary value to reefs.  Like well managed tourist industries, these
activities have little or no envirnomental impacts as they represent an
eternally renewable source of income, they are likely to be important in
the quest for effective management practices that lead to longterm
conservation."

Veron, J.E.N.  2000.  Corals of the World, Volume 1 (pg. 15)

Bruce Carlson
Waikiki Aquarium