divers and fish

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at turtles.org
Sat Nov 3 15:08:10 EST 2001

John, Dr. Carlson, others,

I used to be in aquarium keeping back in the mid-70's and kept at it for
just under a decade.  Like many marine aquarists I started with freshwater
first.  I discovered quickly that there were "trends" in fish --usually
heralded by the national fish keepers mags.  So there were IN fish, and the
OUT fish made their way into cut-rate sale offs at fish shows.

And any time a "new" fish was heralded, people'd stampede to be the first
to own the thing.

There were actually relatively few marine keepers back then.  I'm sure it's
plenty different now.  With me, I stopped keeping fish --and yes, marine
fish-- because of my diving.  Underwater, I've seen creatures free and
unfettered and I find going into a fish store to be a sad and disturbing
experience.

The truly worst part for me are the marine fish and live rocks that become
bargain basement usually because they're doing poorly.  They are relegated
to the bottom rows of tanks.  The fish are pale, listless and thin.  The
"live rocks" are perhaps a couple weeks away from giving up the ghost and
fouling their tanks.  And I'm describing the best fish shop in our area.

I also know the obscene difference between the money the collector makes
and the bucks exchanging hands in the pet store.  I know how many of these
creatures die during transport too.

Right now I have four turtles and a tortoise.  Orphans --the unwanted pets
of others.  They help me to understand the love people can feel towards
their pets and how pets truly enrich our lives.  So I'm not against the
keeping of pets --even exotic marine fish.  They can be a source of comfort
and companionship.

If I were to return to keeping marine fish (and I might one day when I'm
too old to SCUBA dive), I'd take the castoffs sometimes offered in the want
ads "Free to a good home" or rescue those that are destined for the toilet
and sewers.

Someone who says he'll set up a tank and stock the thing with marine
"discards" has my vote.  That person is truly interested in living
things.  He's in the hobby for the love of it and the love of those animals.

Such a person understands that the value of these marine-hobby creatures
cannot be measured with a $dollar$ sign.  And he'll be the one to read the
books and work hard to assure that his charges receive the best of care.

You know?  Care?  The best of care?

Best wishes,
Ursula