proposed artificial reef

Richard Grigg rgrigg at soest.hawaii.edu
Wed Nov 21 16:48:55 EST 2001

To all,

         Aside from the shape, location, material, etc. that one uses to
construct a artificial reefs, another important point that often is NOT
considered is their protection.  It is common knowledge that artificial
reefs do aggregate fishes, therefore making them (the fishes) easier to
catch.  But, if all fishing is prohibited, then artificial reefs may serve
not just to aggregate but CONSERVE the stocks, and create a haven for
non-consumptive uses.  Unfortunately, most artificial reefs in the past
have been built to serve the interests of fishermen.

                                                                 Rick Grigg