Article " Global Warming Not Only Danger to Corals"

Laurie Richardson richardl at fiu.edu
Sat Nov 24 16:30:50 EST 2001

Dear Ursula (et al.): In answer to your questions about the article below, I can
provide you with some information.  As to the identity of the black band disease
cyanobacterium, it was described as Phormidium corallyticum in the 1980s
(Ruttzler and Santavy).
As far as comments about this article, it apparently overlooks a whole series of
more recent published, peer-reviewed papers about the nature of this coral
disease, which is caused by a pathogenic microbial consortium.  Two papers
specifically dealing with the dynamics and microbiology of the black band
microbial community in it's entirety are:
Carlton, R. and L. Richardson (1995). “Oxygen and sulfide dynamics in a
horizontally migrating cyanobacterial mat: Black band disease of corals.” FEMS
Microbiol. Ecol. 18: 155-162.
Richardson, L. et al. (1997). “Ecology of the black band disease microbial
consortium.”   Proc. 8th Intl. Coral Reef Symp., Smithsonian Trop. Res. Inst.,
Panama 1: 597-600.
In a separate response to you, Ursula, I'll list about 20 additional
peer-reviewed  papers  about black band disease.  All of them discuss the
cyanobacterial member.
As for other pathogenic reef cyanobacteria, very little is known (at least for
corals).  There are varying and conflicting reports about "red band disease",
but no definitive characterization to date.  Cheers, Laurie Richardson
ps  If anyone else is interested in the list of all black band related papers
(that I know of) send me a message and I'll forward them to you as well.

--
Laurie L. Richardson
Associate Professor

phone:  305/348-1988