coral reefs - calcification and bioerosion

Bob Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ukans.edu
Mon Oct 1 10:36:40 EDT 2001

All,

Christine's comment raises some points that relate back to Mike's comments and
the whole issue of CO2 and carbonate balance.  It is important to distinguish
between net and gross bioerosion and among the various functional components of
bioerosion --
1. chemical erosion, which returns solid carbonate to dissolved inorganic
carbon and is the only kind that is directly involved in CO2 and acid-base
considerations; and,
2. mechanical/physical erosion, which reduces the integrity and grain size of
solid features (of greatest concern, reef plates and lithified substrate), and
which can have two different outcomes:
a.  change in the structure, relief, and distribution of grain sizes on the
reef itself; or
b. loss of carbonate material from whatever we choose to define as the reef
system.

The two forms are related -- a minor amount of chemical erosion can precipitate
physical breakup on a much larger scale, and smaller grains resulting from
mechanical (bio)erosion have a higher surface-to-mass ratio that facilitaties
dissolution, especially in porewater environments.

I assume that discussions of the balance between production and bioerosion are
referring to a gross balance that includes all forms of bioerosion -- if not,
straighten me out on the conventions in the field, please.

Note that I'm using 'grain' in the geographic sense of granularity, not in the
colloquial sense of 'something small.'

All of these, plus the related issue of import of carbonate from elsewhere to a
specific reef system, are aqddressed in conceptual models presented by Kleypas,
J.A., Buddemeier, R.W. and Gattuso, J.-P., 2001. Defining 'coral reef' for the
age of global change. International Journal of Earth Sciences, 90: 426-437.

I hope this clears up the point Mike addressed about carbonate models that do
or do not include bioerosion.  A carbonate budget model of a reef system has to
include bioerosion, but a calcium carbonate production or calcification model
addresses the gross input to that system.  The CO2-caclification models are
production models, not total budget models, which require local/regional inpout
and calibration, as suggested in the reference given above.

Bob Buddemeier

--
Dr. Robert W. Buddemeier
Kansas Geological Survey