coral reefs doomed for sure

Clive Wilkinson c.wilkinson at aims.gov.au
Fri Oct 5 05:07:00 EDT 2001

Mike and others

I have watched this from afar - but feel that I must comment.

 "land-based sources of pollution ... are THE reef issue."

This is attempting to put the magic solution of a single cause to a
problem, when in fact there are often multiple causes of reef decline.

Pollution by nutrients and sediments are very pertinent on reefs surrounded
by shallow water, with lagoons or in embayments; these are minor issues for
remote oceanic reefs with deep water adjacent and strong currents. In SE
Asia and nearby, the major destructive forces for such remote clean-water
reefs are destructive fishing, especially blast fishing.

However, of the 11% of reefs reported lost in the last  Status of Coral
Reefs of the World 2000 report, most were either dredged up, smothered in
sediment, or had airports and the like built on them. A further 16% were
severely damaged in 1998 during the major El Nino / La Nina climate
switches. Many of the others are severely threatened by the usual mix of
impacts - pollution, sediments, over-exploitation including coral mining,
and engineering activities. Many of these threats act together and Global
Climate Change will probably add to all of these while also causing
bleaching. So reef loss will rarely be attributed to a single cause.

Clive