on flaming

Jim Hendee hendee at aoml.noaa.gov
Fri Oct 5 08:22:48 EDT 2001

flaming -- the use of speech in a metaphorical flame-throwing-like action
to demean the intended victim.  [I made that one up--I hope it fits.]

I don't think we've seen any of this lately in the current "are coral
reefs doomed?" discussion, but it might be appropriate at this time to say
that debate is okay, personal attacks are not.  As long as we maintain
proper decorum in our debates/arguments, stick to the facts and/or the
literature (!), and realize that there are points at which further
discussion is pointless (i.e., saying the same thing over-and-over; or
more appropriate to take it offline), then I think it is instructive to us
all to maintain dailogue.

	Cheers,

	Jim
	coral-list admin