divers and fish

Barbados Marine Trust bmtrust at sunbeach.net
Wed Oct 31 15:14:09 EST 2001

The recreational diver  brings the money in -after all those of us who
depend on diving as part of our tourism package do not make our money off
the pro-diver!!! In Barbados, we found that by involving the recreational
diver (as well as the pro diver ) in programmes such as Reef Check,  we can
educate them about the damage they themselves ( as well as fishermen and
boats etc)  cause to the reefs. It is a learning process and involvement in
Reef protection/ management  programmes is  the most effective method  we
have found so far.
Loreto Duffy-Mayers
Executive Director
Barbados Marine Trust