Nitrates

Osha Gray Davidson osha at oshadavidson.com
Mon Sep 10 20:45:49 EDT 2001

In an effort somewhat related to the recent thread about the fate of coral
reefs and anthropogenic threats, I'm trying to compare the various N
contributions (in the form of nitrate) of different states in the USA. I'm
attempting to drive home the fact that we're ALL coastal states--because
most of what we put into our rivers ends up in the ocean. I live in
Iowa--about as far from the ocean as you can get in the US. Yet, Iowa
contributes approx. 250,000 tons of nitrate/year flowing into the Gulf of
Mexico. I'd like to put this in perspective, comparing Iowa's nitrate
contribution to that of "truly" coastal states. Can anyone help with this?
If you know the amount of NO3 coming from coastal states, could you please
let me know? Or if anyone can tell me where that information can be found,
just point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Osha

Osha Gray Davidson          Home page: www.OshaDavidson.com
14 S. Governor St.          Phone: 319-338-4778
Iowa City, IA 52240         E-Mail: osha at oshadavidson.com
USA

"Fire in the Turtle House: The Green Sea Turtle and the Fate of the Ocean"
http://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/books/fire.html

The Turtle House Foundation: www.turtlehousefoundation.org