Fossil lessons

Jeffrey Low jeffrey-low at mailhost.net
Thu Sep 20 19:07:15 EDT 2001

Dear Mike,

Sorry to hear about the disarray in your life .... hope things work out
(eventually). I totally agree with you on your last point - in fact, I
came across an article in the newspapers on two papers published in
Science (Alroy and Roberts) that claim "humans more lethal than climate
change". Of course, they were looking mostly at land extinctions caused by
human migration in prehistoric times, but the present day loss of coral
reefs (and other coastal habitats) are directly related to population
growth. I would hazard a guess that if we (ie the human race) can get our
population growth under control, much of the existing problems of
overfishing, caostal degradation, pollution and greenhouse gases would be
drastically reduced or not exist.

What I don't hear much on this list are projects / research being done
related to quantifying the human factor in the degradation. Not the blast
fishing / cyanide problems, but more of the "if you have x% less people,
then the damage will be y% less and restoration can proceed at z% rate".
Perhaps some other list has this kind of on-going discussion?

One final comment - all countries seem to run on the thoery that you need
to have replacement rates higher than death rates (in the human
population) so that (economic) growth can be sustained. Now, if that is
the case, doesn't that mean that there is a never-ending spiral of
population increase? If I remember my basic biology - this consitutes a
positive feedback system .... which will ultimately result in the
breakdown of the system (as opposed to a negative feedback, which keeps
the system in balance).

Before I end, let me just say that this is just my "coffe-shop"
interpretation of the "big picture". I defer to more informaed minds on
the subject, and would like to hear more on this. Thanks.

Jeffrey Low
SINGAPORE
Email: jeffrey-low at mailhost.net