No subject

Alifereti Tawake, IAS tawake_a at usp.ac.fj
Fri Apr 5 11:05:00 EST 2002

<Lwilson at wwfpacific.org.fj>, coral-list
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:45:28 -0800
Subject: Re: Fw: community-based monitoring
CC: lizmat at palaunet.com, coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov,
        emat2715 at postoffice.uri.edu
Sender: owner-coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

Hi Dan and Liz mathews,

Thanks for your interest. I ve been on the road for the last few
weeks.
Regarding your request about the reprint of the CBIP paper,
Lissette will be bringing a copy over to you to Sol Islands and
some other infor on the LMMA, the LMMA Learning Framework
which may of help to you. The Fiji LMMA Network member projects
ie community-based are using this framework and are finding it
useful as a learning tool where we can systematically collect
"comparable" (close to standardised) information in assessing how
our interventions (MPAs, no-take, effort restrictions, awareness
etc) are influencing our inshore fishery, the marine resources and
the people that depended on them. I hope you'll find it useful.

As per Community based monitoring, we are doing some
community based reef monitoring. We are still exploring the
methods that is useful, measurable but cheap and easy for the
community to implement for their own marine resource
management decisions and adaptive management.

 Liz Mathews i can send you some of the lessons that weve
learned from this exploration work once ive settled in.May be you
can let me know what specific information you need. You can also
check out the article that we published in the Conservation Biology
in Practice journal (Vol 2 No 4).Fall 2001 issue on Harvesting
Clams and Data.(pg 32-35)

Liz FYI the CRC team (Lyne and Don) is here in Fiji this week for
the Fiji ICZM workshop.

Later
alifereti Tawake

Re: your request