sex determination in corals

Alina M. Szmant szmanta at uncwil.edu
Thu Apr 25 11:03:16 EDT 2002

Unfortunately, you need to take a tissue sample to see if the colony carries
sperm or eggs.

At 08:00 AM 04/24/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> Assuming that the method is not invasive, I'm interested too.  Please
> respond to list.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> Mikhail Matz wrote:
> >
> > Hello listers,
> >
> > Does anybody know the mechanism of sex determination in great star coral
> > Montastraea cavernosa? And how to tell a boy from a girl?..
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --
> > Mikhail V. Matz, Ph.D.
> >
> > Whitney Laboratory
> > University of Florida
> > 9505 Ocean Shore blvd
> > St Augustine FL 32080-8610, USA
> > phone +1 904 461 4025
> > fax +1 904 461 4008
> >
> > ~~~~~~~
> > For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the
> > digests, please visit http://www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the
> > menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.
>
> --
>      *************************************************************
>      *                                                           *
>      *                       John R. Ware, PhD                   *
>      *                          President                        *
>      *                       SeaServices, Inc.                   *
>      *                    19572 Club House Road                  *
>      *              Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA           *
>      *                        301 987-8507                       *
>      *                       jware at erols.com                     *
>      *                       seaservices.org                     *
>      *                      fax: 301 987-8531                    *
>      *                                          _                *
>      *                                         |                 *
>      *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
>      *                                        _|_                *
>      *                                       | _ |               *
>      *        _______________________________|   |________       *
>      *     |\/__ Undersea Technology for the 21st Century \      *
>      *     |/\____________________________________________/      *
> menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
Professor of Biology
Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
5600  Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington  NC  28409-5928
tel:  (910)962-2362  fax:  (910)962-2410
email:  szmanta at uncwil.edu
http://www.uncwil.edu/people/szmanta/