Ocean Policy and Re: Announcement: U.S. Coral Reef Task Force meeting October 2-3, 2002

Frank Muller-Karger carib at seas.marine.usf.edu
Sat Aug 10 10:03:09 EDT 2002

Dear Roger et al.:

As you know, the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy has been meeting around
the country over the past 9 months collecting input from the public,
academia, industry, and government on issues that need to be considered
in
updating our country's ocean policy. We have had meetings in Puerto
Rico,
Florida, Hawaii, and the Gulf area, and have heard substantial testimony
on tropical coral reef issues from these areas and from representatives
from the Virgin Islands and Guam, and from many public speakers.

An important objective of this public Commission is to study direct
recommendations for policy options in the process in drafting the report
due to the President and Congress in the first half of 2003. To date, we
have had very few explicit, direct, concrete recommendations for policy
directions for the Federal Government on the wide range of issues that
affect or are related to coral reefs.

As a member of the Commission's Stewardship Working Group, I would like
request that the Coral Reef Task Force provide the Commission with a
list
of specific policy recommendations that we should consider in developing
policy regarding coral reef environments. The more specific the
recommendations, the better and more valuable to the Commission they
will
be. The Stewardship Working Group will be working with the other working
groups in defining policy recommendations, including in areas relevant
"governance", "research, education, monitoring, and operations", and
"investment and implementation", which are the focus of the other
working groups of the Commission with those names.

As you know, background on our goals and mandate, background on
Commissioners, and copies of testimony submitted to the Commission to
date
may be found on our web page:

http://oceancommission.gov

I would urge you, others on the Task force, and any of our colleagues
interested in providing input to the Commission, to review our draft
"issues"  and questions, posted on the web, and provide us with
feedback.
The feedback may come as comments on the document, or, again, as
specific
recommendations for policy options.

This is a process in which we all have a chance to participate, and I
welcome as much interaction with you and others interested as is
possible.

Best regards, Frank

Frank Muller-Karger
U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy