Editorial: Black Water

Precht, Bill Bprecht at pbsj.com
Wed Aug 14 11:00:08 EDT 2002

More on Black Water in Florida.

William F. Precht, P.G.
Ecological Sciences Program Manager
PBS&J
2001 NW 107th Avenue
Miami, FL  33172
305-592-7275
fax:305-594-9574
1-800-597-7275
bprecht at pbsj.com

Editorial: Black water
Officials should be alarmed by return of phenomenon

Wednesday, August 14, 2002
http://www.naplesnews.com/02/08/perspective/d807135a.htm

The Naples Daily News

Black water is hitting home.

Readers who may remain ambivalent about mysterious happenings in the distant
gulf this past winter and reported by this newspaper now have added reason
to take notice. The color photos on our front page on Sunday showed
unexplainably dark water along the entire Southwest Florida coast, with an
especially large and ominous blob at Sanibel Island on Aug. 1.

Is it the same phenomenon first reported by fishermen as "dead zones"
between Marco Island and the Dry Tortugas devoid of any sign of life?

In view of scientific assessments citing severe damage to Florida Keys coral
from the first bout of black water, now more than ever we need to know what
is going on.

Simply put, we need to know where it is coming from and what is causing it.

Amid a seeming lack of concern or even acquiescence by public health or
environmental agencies, private research teams are taking up the slack.

There is nothing to gain from an official wait-and-see attitude. The fact
that this has not happened before and there are more questions than answers
is more cause for concern than casual dismissal.