New CHAMP Coral Disease Page

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 27 08:53:41 EDT 2002

Greetings, Coral-Listers!

    It is our pleasure to announce NOAA/CHAMP's new Coral Disease
Identification and Information Web Page at:

        http://www.coral.noaa.gov/coral_disease/

We have endeavored to review other coral disease pages on the Web and to
make this one unique and modern, utilizing input from many of our coral
disease colleagues.

This new page:

*  Emphasizes coral diseases which have enjoyed peer review
("Characterized Diseases").

*  Includes a "Literature" section to have up-to-date peer-reviewed
publications.  (We earnestly seek any additions you may wish us to
include.)

*  Showcases NOAA's new Coral Disease & Health Consortium (CDHC),
organized in January, 2002.  The CDHC seeks to "...organize and
coordinate the scientific resources of the U.S. and its territories to
meet the challenge of globally declining coral reefs."

*  Supplies good descriptive photographs of described coral diseases.
We very much enjoin you to offer other good quality photos which may
display the diseases in a suitably diagnostic fashion.

    We very much look forward to your input and hope that it will help
all of us come to a consensus on coral disease identification and
nomenclature.

    Sincerely yours,

    Jim Hendee, NOAA
       Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
    Laurie Richardson, Florida International University
    Monika Gurnee, NOAA
        Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
    Cheryl Woodley, NOAA
        Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular
Research
    Laura Kracker, NOAA
digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .