Fluorescent organisms on reef - identification help needed

Charles Mazel mazel at psicorp.com
Thu Dec 5 22:10:27 EST 2002

Dear Coral List,

My group is engaged in research on fluorescence effects in marine
organisms.  As part of recent fieldwork we observed and photographed
several instances of fluorescence (or non-fluorescence) in various
sponges, crabs, shrimp, tunicates, etc. Some we have identified, but the
range of diversity puts many of the organisms outside our area of direct
expertise.  I would appreciate any help that any of you might be able to
offer in making better identifications.  You can find a list of the
specimens we need immediate help with, with links to pages with
photographs and location information, at
http://www.psicorp.com/mazel/database/helpsummary.htm. Please respond
directly to me so as not to burden the group.  I welcome any dialogue on
the sources or functions of fluorescence in any of these organisms.

Regards,

Charles Mazel

Charles Mazel
Principal Research Scientist