[Fwd: Land-Based Sources of Pollution]

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 20 16:53:35 EST 2002

I agree with Jim that the term "pollution" is politically charged.
However, the Federal Administration representatives did adopt
"Land-based Sources of Pollution" as a focus area for 2003-2006.  Under
the "Joint USDA-EPA Proposal on Land Based Sources of Pollution", it was
announced that "Within 45 days, USDA and EPA will produce the framework
to more fully develop this proposal".

It sounds to me like the Administration is accepting this moniker for a
problem that needs to be addressed.  While I concur with Jim that the
basic science needs to address specific threats and potential solutions
for these, that should not mean that we abandon the broad issue of
"Land-based Sources of Pollution" as a political framework.  It is
usually most constructive to use a political banner that the
Administration has already accepted.  At least with "Land-based Sources
of Pollution", we have a moniker that is recognized and understood by
those in high political positions.

I guess what I am suggesting is that we should use the term "Land-based
Sources of Pollution" to promote a suite of activities that the
scientific issues such as nutrient increases and light reduction are a
part.

Just my humble opinion, which is not an official position of NOAA or the
U.S. government.

Cheers,
Mark

--
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Chief of NOAA Paleoclimatology Program and

NOAA/National Climatic Data Center
325 Broadway E/CC23
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
Voice: 303-497-6172                  Fax: 303-497-6513
Internet: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/paleo/paleo.html
digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .