Coral abundance

Simone Siag Oigman simone.oigman at uol.com.br
Sat Jan 19 15:31:23 EST 2002

Colleagues,
We have been searching the usual sources of literature (ASFA, Web of Science
and our local libraries, etc.) for review articles or research papers which
review stony coral abundance (density and/or cover) and which synthesise
differences between the world reefs and rocky shores. With the large amount
of studies which collect this type of data we were surprised by our
difficulty in coming up with anything concrete.
So... What is the average density of stony corals on the worlds coral reefs
and what proportion of area do they occupy?
How does this compare with rocky shore corals, or indeed do we have this
data?
If anyone would like to point us in the right direction, we would be most
grateful.

Simone Oigman and Joel Creed
Laboratorio de Ecologia Marinha/ UERJ
Brazil